NPP-UK branch: Nana Addo secures victory

By on

10557488_10152595896309836_1303676182922240209_oFigures from voting conducted at the United Kingdom (UK) branch of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) indicate that Nana Akufo-Addo is the preferred flagbearer over the other six candidates vying for the position, according to branch Secretary , John Kissi .

Speaking Friday on Peace FMs morning show ‘Kokrokoo’ Dr. John Kissi said in line with its deep democratic tenets as a pacesetter, the UK branch decided to respond to the calls of its rank and file members and allowed all members in all the chapters in the UK to vote for their preferred candidate(s) out of the seven aspirants vying to lead Ghana’s biggest opposition party.

“When all the votes were aggregated, Nana Akufo-Addo received an overwhelming endorsement of the NPP members in the UK. He polled 92% of the total votes cast, leaving the other six contenders to share the remaining 8% of the votes. Four of the aspirants did not register a single vote”.

Former Trade Minister Alan Kyeremantengn had 5.6 percent while former MP for Mfantsipim West Stephen Asamoah Boateng acquired one percent.

The other four candidates; former Ofinso North MP Dr. Kofi Konadu Apraku, MP for Asikado-Ketan Joe Ghartey, MP for Asougyaman Kofi Osei Ameyaw and Mampong MP Francis Addai Nimo all attained no votes.

The NPP is set to hold a special delegates conference on Sunday August 31, 2014 to prune the number of candidates contesting the flagbearership position of the party. Three delegates from each international branch of the NPP will vote in the Special Electoral College to shortlist five people, and 12 delegates from each branch will vote in the final National Congress of October 18.

This will be followed by the National Delegate’s Congress to elect a flagbearer for the December 7, 2016 elections between the remaining five candidates on Saturday, October 18, 2014.

Even though Dr. Kissi was unable to tell the actual number of people who voted, he said he explained, the results therefore mean that all the three delegates from the UK who will be participating in Sunday’s special conference, will abe voting for Nana Akufo-Addo.

If Nana Akufo Addo makes the shortlist, then it also means he has secured the votes of all Twelve delegates to be appointed to take part in the October 18 delegates’ congress. Therefore, any of the six remaining candidates who goes to the UK to campaign between now and October 18, would be wasting time and resources.

The voting took place in an emergency meeting organised by all the chapters of the branch on Thursday, August 21. It was a One-Member-One-Vote (OMOV) affair. The branch was determined to ensure that the votes of its delegates will be a true reflection of the choice(s) of its members.

Present at the London meeting were the Chairman of Council of Elders Mr. Michael Boye-Anawoma, together with other founding members, namely, Mr. Owusu Ansah-Boafo, Mr. Alex Amponsah Yeboah Kakabo, Mrs. Comfort Arthur and Mr. Matthew Kyeremeh.  Also present were all the immediate past Executives and the current Executives, led by Branch Chairman – Michael Ansah.

Faustine Akwa 

ABOUT: Nana Kwesi Coomson

[email protected]

A Freelance Journalist, Entrepreneur and Philanthropist. Editor-in-Chief of www.233times.com. A contributory writer for Ghanaian Chronicle Newspaper. An alumnus of Adisadel College where he read General Arts. He holds first degree in Bachelor of Arts from the University of Ghana; Political Science (major) and History (minor). He has also pursued MSc Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Energy with Public Relations (PR) at the Robert Gordon University in the United Kingdom. His mentors are Rupert Murdoch, Warren Buffet, Sam Jonah, Kwaku Sakyi Addo and Piers Morgan

view all posts by: Nana Kwesi Coomson  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT 233TIMES

233times.com is a Ghanaian media house which serves as a major source of exclusive interviews ,music and video downloads, news and more.

233times.com reports on major events,news covering entertainment, politics, sports, etc from within Ghana, Africa and beyond.

We have a platform for the amateur artistes to portray their staggering talents ...more...

WE ON SOCIAL MEDIA. FOLLOW US

facebook twitter youtube google plus linkedIn

To advertise with us or make enquiries, please visit 233times.com/advertise or call +233249455142 (Selorm), +233248185848 (Nana Kwesi)